Monday, January 5, 2009

The Puppies Arrive (Day 1)

Our Chihuahuas Jack and Jill welcomed two little boys to their family on Monday January 5th.

On Sunday, January 4th, Jill went into labor and sat next to me on the couch (in her bed) all day and whined (except for the times when she had fallen asleep). Jill started her active labor around 10:30 p.m. Jill climbed off the couch and wandered down the hallway looking for a place to have her puppies. Jordan and I recognized what she was doing, and so we packed up her little bed and her blanket and we brought her into the bathroom. Jill continued to be miserable, but started pushing around 11:00-11:15. The puppy moved into the birth canal, but after not having given birth after an hour of pushing, we called the 24-hour emergency vet clinic and they told us that we should bring her in immediately.

So, we packed her up and rushed across town. We checked in and after we took her back to the exam room, the vet assistant asked us to put her on the cat scale that was on the counter. After we weighed her her (she was 10 1/2 pounds) I carried her back from the scale and as I set her in her bed, the puppy popped out!

Jill immediately started cleaning the puppy and taking care of him just like a good little mommy should! The vet said that she wanted to examine her, and after she was done, she told us that she believed that Jill only had one more puppy in there. She KNEW there was at least ONE puppy because while examining Jill she felt the puppy and said that she'd had her finger in the puppy's mouth!!!

After getting a clean bill of health, and advice that if Jill didn't have the next puppy within 4 hours, to bring Jill back in for another exam, we decided to go back home. By the time we got home and I got ready for bed (I had to be at work at 7:30 a.m.) Jordan was in the bathroom with Jill and she was pushing along. I took the other three dogs into the bedroom to go to bed and we got settled in just before 2:00. Not even 2 minutes after having turned out the light and crawling in bed, Jordan called me from the bathroom and told me that Jill had just had the second puppy!

I got up and went into the bathroom where she was cleaning the second puppy. After knowing that the puppy was okay, and that Jill was okay, I decided that I HAD to get to bed! A few hours later, while I was at work, Jordan called me and updated me on the puppies, and also let me know that he had named them Jemaine and Jasper. (Yes, Jemaine, not's not a typo.)

Here they are!

Back home again after the vet trip. Only Jemaine has been born at this point. All clean and happy, he's ready to eat!

He sure is tiny!

What a sweet little boy!

Little brother Jasper was just born!

Jasper, still all wet, getting his first bath from mommy!

Still all wet, but wanting to eat!

Jasper is so much bigger than his older brother!!

No comments: